Attack on South Station filmed by NBC Boston
The Boston Police Department was called to South Station around midnight Friday after a man was assaulted outside the transportation hub.
The attack happened near Atlantic Avenue and Summer Street, and sent the man to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The victim’s father told NBC10 Boston that his son is now out of the hospital. He has a broken nose and is recovering from a concussion.
Boston police said they are aware of video circulating online that shows the alleged attack, but would not confirm it was the same incident. They noted, however, that the video is consistent with what they have learned so far through their investigation.
NBC10 Boston spoke with the victim’s father on Saturday night who said his 20-year-old son was in town with his girlfriend when he was attacked. The couple reportedly had trouble with the MBTA and missed the last train of the night on Thursday.
The father says his son and his girlfriend were waiting for his parents to pick them up when a group of four people inside a car started shouting insults at them. This group then got out of the car and began attacking the man, which can be seen on video. The group fled after the victim was knocked to the ground unconscious.
The victim’s father noted that his son was part of a group and had long hair, unsure if that was why the group targeted him.
A witness recorded video of the incident – which has since been widely shared on social media – and then AirDropped it to the victim’s girlfriend.
“What’s the reason four people attack someone? It’s awful to watch as a parent, as a friend it’s awful,” a friend of the victim’s family told NBC10 Boston. . “It’s just inexplicable, there’s no excuse for it.”
NBC10 Boston blurred the faces of the people in the video and the license plate of the SUV they were in because they are not currently facing any charges.
Boston police say no arrests have yet been made and an investigation is ongoing.