The Demopolis School Board welcomes a new member – The Demopolis Times
The Demopolis School Board began its regular June meeting by swearing in new board member Bobby Armstead. Armstead was elected as the new member of the DCS Board of Directors at the Demopolis City Council meeting on June 2. Armstead brings his experience to this position as he has previously been a member of the BOE.
The Board has approved Board Policy 5.00 which relates to fees for non-resident students. The fee was originally $50.00 and was paid once and guaranteed students remained in the school system until graduation. The new policy makes this fee a one-time payment of $100.00 for out-of-district students.
The Board also approved Board Policy 5.27 Credit Recovery which was discussed at a meeting called for Monday June 6th. The original policy stated that the school system offered credit recovery, but did not clarify how it offered state-required credit recovery. The new policy now has an explanation of how students can get their credit back.
In the superintendent’s report, Tony Willis said summer enrichment was “in full swing with students on every campus.” He said there were more than 110 students split between elementary schools and about 92 students split between DMS and DHS. Classes started last week and will continue until July 27.
Willis also honored former board chair Conrad Murdock for his contributions to the board and the school system.
Articles approved by the Board:
- Approval of a contract between DCS and SUMMCO to enter the United States. Safer Jones Elementary School.
- A+ College Ready E3 training approved
- Approved current payment schedule for fiscal year 2022
- Inventory of Approved Textbooks for Westside Elementary School and Demopolis Middle School
- Approved Job Description for Special Education Pedagogical Coach
- Dual Enrollment Agreement Approved Between DCS and Auburn University
- Contract approved between DCS and Fleming Photography
- Facility Use Request Approved for DHS Gym-Walmart 1st Annual Unity of the Community Basketball Tournament for Alabama Children’s Hospital
- Previous Board Approval(s): Carrie Dauphin, academic coach (10 months), from July 19, 2022
- Use: Jessica Dial as Federal Programs Accountant (Central Office) – 10 months part-time, beginning July 19, 2022, Anna Ezell as ELA Teacher (DMS), beginning 08/02/2022 (pending receipt of satisfactory documentation and Board approval), Zachary Bigham as Band Director at DMS and DHS, effective 02/08/2022 (subject to receipt of satisfactory documentation and Board approval), Andrew Luker as Professor of History, effective 08/02/2022 (subject to satisfactory documentation and Board approval)
- Transfers/Reassignments: Reassignment of Kate Lee from 10-month head nurse to 12-month head nurse effective 01/07/2022
The next school board meeting will be July 18 at 5:15 p.m.